[Tutor] Help Needed

Michael Williams michael.williams@st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:10:18 +0100

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 12:01:07AM +0800, Ashley Fox wrote:
> hello, my name is Ashley and i m 12 years old. i would like to learn
> how to program. Could someone plz help me with all these stuff. i find
> it all a little confusing. i have necer programed anything before

Hi Ashley,

Assuming you want to learn to program in Python (which is a really good
language to start off in), you should start off by installing Python.  You can
get the Windows version here:
<http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.2.1/Python-2.2.1.exe>. Once that is done
you need a tutorial which will take you through the basics of Python and the
concepts of programming. I wouldn't recommend the official one by Guido (the
guy who wrote Python) for you as it is more for people who already know a
programming language other than Python.  Here are a couple for you that you
could read through.

Livewires: <http://livewires.org.uk/python/index.html> and Alan Gauld's "How to
Program": <http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/>.

Both of these can be downloaded for you to go through offline and if you pay
for your internet connection by the minute this might be good idea.  If you
need any more help don't hesitate to post to <tutor@python.org>.

One more bit of advice - pay attention in your maths classes! They're really
important for programming.
--
Michael