[Tutor] untar?

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:21:39 -0700

At 02:23 PM 4/15/2002 -0700, lco wrote:
>I'm running python 2.1c on windows 2000. What I would like
>to do is make a script that can automatically fetch a tar
>file via ftp and then untar it to a specified directory.
>I've already gotten the ftp function to work but unable to
>find anything on untaring the file. Can someone post for me
>an example of how this can be done? or point me toward the
>right direction? TIA
>
>Leo

The winzip utility handles tar, tgz, gz etc. and there's
a beta add-on which allows controlling winzip from the
command line, i.e. from within Python:
http://www.winzip.com/beta.htm

I've used the command line from with another MSFT app to
control auto-zipping, but haven't tried to control
untaring to a specific directory.  I don't know for a
fact that the command line is rich enough to support this,
but it's worth a try.

Kirby