[Tutor] constructors

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:40:01 +0100

> | statements when an exception occurs you jump to the
> | end of that block with no way back in (I've always thought
> | a 'continue' for exception handlers would be nice!)
>
> Have you ever tried Eiffel?  ... includes a
> 'retry' keyword that will restart the function.

Yes, I've played with the free ISE Eiffel edition.
I like a lot of it, but unfortunately some of the libraries
were a bit buggy at the time and it seemed a bit verbose
for many things. However the concepts were very sound.

> (not that I like Eiffel a lot, but it did get one or two things right)

I thought it got more right than wrong. The biggest failing
was not getting market share, and that was  largely down to
being, in effect, a proprietary language with a single source
of supply.

If it achieves nothing else Eiffel will have produced one of
the best OO texts ever written...

Alan G.