[Tutor] Visual Basic AND Python, is there a way to...

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:12:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Robert Garber wrote:

> OK hear goes an off the wall question. I started with python and loved
> it...came very easy to me. I moved on to visual basic. I like the way
> you can set up the GUI first and the methods used in doing so...seems
> very intuitive. i like the dea of writing code for each part of the form
> and object in it...is there a way to use VB6.0 and ptyhon together...
> set up the GUi and use python to write the code for each event in the
> app?or is there an IDE out ther that wroks like VB 6.0 for setting up
> and writting GUI apps? I have to admit I never messed with tkinter, but
> i know it sets up the GUI with code instead the 'drag and drop' methods
> in VB6.0...i like writting code with python..it is the first language i
> have learned and would like to find a way to use both together if
> possible.\

It's possible; I'm not too familiar with the details, but Mark Hammond's
'win32' packages allow you to write Python code and have it accessible
from VB.

    http://www.python.org/windows/win32/
    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/

Hmmmm... I'm doing some quick searches on Google.  Here's a link that
might be useful:

    http://www.hps1.demon.co.uk/users/andy/pyvb/

Looks like a small example of VB driven with Python.  It might be enough
to get you started!  You may also want to check Mark's book, "Python and
Win32 Programming":

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/

Chapter 7 on "Building a GUI with COM" might be very useful for you.

Finally, you might also want to talk with the Python-win32 folks: