[Tutor] editing scripts with Vim

Scot Stevenson scot@possum.in-berlin.de
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:44:31 +0200

Hello Kent, ,

> Vim looks like a good free cross platform
> editor for editing Python.

If you can type with all ten fingers, there is no other way to fly. My
.vimrc file looks like this:

" We use a vim
set nocompatible
"
" Colo(u)red or not colo(u)red
" If you want color you should set this to true
"
let color = "true"
"
if has("syntax")
    if color == "true"
	" This will switch colors ON
	so ${VIMRUNTIME}/syntax/syntax.vim
    else
	" this switches colors OFF
	syntax off
	set t_Co=0
    endif
endif
set textwidth=75
set autoindent
set tabstop=8
set expandtab
set shiftwidth=4
filetype indent on
" ~/.vimrc ends here

This is bascially the way SuSE ships it, my additions are the "set
shiftwidth=4" (for Python, this lets you do a CNTRL-T to get a Python
indent while keeping the tapstop at eight), and "filetype indent on",
which makes vim color your text according to the filetype. If I remember
correctly, SuSE has "let color = "false" as default, but I am not sure
anymore.

I have no idea what this would look like in a Windows environment.

Y, Scot