[Tutor] 1 only book

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:29:21 -0500

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:53:41PM -0400, kirk Bailey wrote:
| Gang, I managed to scrape up some loot; I am going to Barnes & Noble
| this saterday to purchase a book on python. ONE BOOK ONLY, cash is
| tight with Bea sick.
|=20
| So, gang, WHICH ONE should I buy if I am buying only one- and why that
| one? Suggestions please!

What is your goal, and what books do you already have?

The Practice of Programming,  Kernighan & Pike, ISBN 0-201-61586-X

    K&P discuss _how_ to program.  They don't discuss particular
    technologies or APIs, but rather the (general) process a
    programmer should follow to be effective in developing software.

    (I'm in the process of reading it now)

Design Patterns,  "Gang of Four",  ISBN 0-201-63361-2
    The "Gang of Four" (Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides) discuss many
    patterns that appear frequently in Object Oriented systems.  They
    provide the rational and the tradeoffs each pattern provides.
    Using this as a basis for designing subsystems allows developers
    to reduce reinvention of the wheel and to raise the level of
    discussions by increasing vocabulary.

    (I have read this book a couple times and keep it handy for
    reference)

   =20
Refactoring,  Martin Fowler,  ISBN 0-201-48567-2
    Fowler discusses refactoring to improve the design of existing
    code.  This book is commonly referred to as a "classic" and is
    often recommended.  I have it, but have not read it yet.

Mastering Regular Expressions, Jeffrey Friedl,  ISBN 1-56592-257-3
    Friedl explains many details of regular expressions including
    common pitfalls, variations in dialect, and performance
    considerations.  The python-specific section is very outdated, but
    other than that is a great tool for learning.  Unlike the other
    titles I mention, this one covers a specific technology, but
    doesn't cover the general aspects of how to work with software
    technology.

HTH,
-D

--=20

If you hold to [Jesus'] teaching, you are really [Jesus'] disciples.
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
        John 8:31-32

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--