[Tutor] 1 only book

Kojo Idrissa kojo@hal-pc.org
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:41:01 -0500

--=====================_28960482==_.ALT

Well, from what you've done (TinyList), I'd say at this point it depends on
where you want to go.  It's obvious you should get an advanced book.  The
ones that come to mind are:

NOTE: Just as I finished typing this, I read DMan's response.  I worked
from the assumption you wanted a Python book.

Programming Python
         This is the standard Python "bible".  It seems like it would be a
good place to go for someone who isn't trying to learn the langauge, but
someone trying to learn what to do with it.  This sounds like you.  I don't
have the 2nd Ed., but it seems to be a favorite

Python Essential Reference (Second Edition)
         I have the first Ed.,and I love it.  If you want a language ref,
this would be the way to go.  It seems that someone who already knows how
to use the language (you), but wanting to take it to the next level, a
language ref is very useful.  I'm still pretty basic with my Python
knowledge, but I find this ref extremely helpful.  "How do I...?"

On the financial note, you might want to try Bruce Eckel's Thinking in
Python <http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIPython>.  It's free, and I've read
and heard nothing but rave reviews of his Thinking in Java/C++ books.  It's
not complete, but it's designed for the intermediate/advanced Pythonista.

Just my 2 Gold pieces,

At 11:53 PM 4/24/2002 -0400, kirk Bailey wrote:
>Gang, I managed to scrape up some loot; I am going to Barnes & Noble
>this saterday to purchase a book on python. ONE BOOK ONLY, cash is
>tight with Bea sick.
>
>So, gang, WHICH ONE should I buy if I am buying only one- and why that
>one? Suggestions please!

****************************
Kojo Idrissa

kojo@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kojo/
****************************
--=====================_28960482==_.ALT

Well, from what you've done (TinyList), I'd say at this point it depends
on where you want to go.&nbsp; It's obvious you should get an advanced
book.&nbsp; The ones that come to mind are:<br><br>
NOTE: Just as I finished typing this, I read DMan's response.&nbsp; I
<b>Programming Python<br>
</b><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>This
is the standard Python &quot;bible&quot;.&nbsp; It seems like it would be
a good place to go for someone who isn't trying to learn the langauge,
but someone trying to learn what to do with it.&nbsp; This sounds like
you.&nbsp; I don't have the 2nd Ed., but it seems to be a
favorite<br><br>
<b>Python Essential Reference (Second Edition)<br>
</b><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I have
the first Ed.,and I love it.&nbsp; If you want a language ref, this would
be the way to go.&nbsp; It seems that someone who already knows how to
use the language (you), but wanting to take it to the next level, a
language ref is very useful.&nbsp; I'm still pretty basic with my Python
knowledge, but I find this ref extremely helpful.&nbsp; &quot;How do
I...?&quot;<br><br>
On the financial note, you might want to try Bruce Eckel's <b>Thinking in
Python
</b>&lt;<a href="http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIPython" eudora="autourl">http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIPython</a>&gt;.&nbsp;
It's free, and I've read and heard nothing but rave reviews of his
Thinking in Java/C++ books.&nbsp; It's not complete, but it's designed
for the intermediate/advanced Pythonista.<br><br>
Just my 2 Gold pieces,<br><br>
At 11:53 PM 4/24/2002 -0400, kirk Bailey wrote:<br>
loot; I am going to Barnes &amp; Noble<br>
this saterday to purchase a book on python. ONE BOOK ONLY, cash is<br>
tight with Bea sick.<br><br>
So, gang, WHICH ONE should I buy if I am buying only one- and why
that<br>
one? Suggestions please!</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kojo Idrissa <br>