[Tutor] Python with readline

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:36:42 -0400

On Wednesday, April 24, 2002, at 11:19  PM, dman wrote:

> larger.  For example, compile something non-trivial with and without
> a -g option and compare the size.  (or compile with -g and then run
> 'strip' on the binary afterwards)

I think that's going to have to wait! :)  Someday I would like to get
some time to learn C*, but I am still learning Java (and there's always
more to learn about Python).

* "The Practice of Programming" was recommended to me, and I looked at
it -- it looks like a good book, and uses C quite a bit

> setup.py is a distutils thing.  (search for the distutils SIG on
> python.org)  I've never used one myself because everything I need is
> already packaged for my distro.  Yes, setup.py does require a working
> python, but how (or why) would you install python modules if you don't
> have python itself?  The dependency isn't as crazy as it first sounds.

I must have been mistaken.  I had assumed that setup.py was used to help
build Python itself, not install Python modules.  Does this mean that
(in theory) I can add the GNU Readline module without recompiling my
Python binary?  I can go one way or the other, but I'm just curious if
it works like Apache's DSOs (where you don't have to recompile Apache to
add a module).

> I've never used OSX so I'm not familiar with the quirks of its build
> system.

Yeah, I've got to figure this puppy out.  Thanks for the info Dman.

Erik