[Tutor] windows and filenames

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:18:06 +0100

> it into a URL that will work on my webserver....
>
> the dos-style filenames are ugly, but they also don't work
> with apache.

Ah! that'd be because the tilde gets interpreted as a home
directory I'd guess...

> Apache needs the full filenames, so you can see why
> "mp3s\electr~1" doesn't work when "electronica" would.

mp3s/electr~1 might work (tildes permitting). The web
server won't like backslashes but converting them to
forward slashes should work fine.

I do agree they aren't pretty, but then neither are GUIDs
and lots of sites use those in URLs!

> I guess I'll look around for winall and see if that has
> anything that could help.

Sounds like your best bet.

Other random thoughts include - are you running the server
in win9x? I thought NT based OS's returned the non DOS style
names. Have you tried running the script on NT/W2k/XP?

Alan g.