[Tutor] jython and dynamic typing

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:54:45 -0500

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:33:04AM -0400, Erik Price wrote:
| Okay... admittedly I don't know much about Python, and I know even less=
=20
| about Java.  But I was wondering something about Jython --
|=20
| From what I understand, in Java the types must be declared and cannot be=
=20
| interchanged like they can in Python.  So then how does Jython=20
| "translate" Python programs that take advantage of dynamic typing into=20
| the stricter Java code?  Mind you, since I don't know much about Java, a=
=20
| layman's answer would be great if possible.

The generated code just calls methods in the jython interpreter to do
the dirty work.  The generated stuff _is_ java, but is _not_
independent of jython.

-D

--=20

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and
humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke
is easy and my burden is light.
        Matthew 11:28-30
=20

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv