[Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- and Python)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:54:13 -0400

> You can do similar things with visual arts.  There should be good ways
> to do a lot of textile stuff, such as weaving patterns.  A lot of
> mathematical functions make beautiful quilt designs, and one could have
> the computer generate piece patterns (don't forget those seam margins,
> and optimizing the use of material can be a challenge.)  Both knitting
> and macrame lead to knot theory and topology.  Ivars Peterson, of
> Science News, has a book out that might be useful for ideas:
> "Fragments of Infinity: A Kaleidoscope of Math and Art".  I think parts
> of it have shown up as installments in Mathtrek at the Science News
> site <http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_wekly/math_arc.asp>.

I can't help throwing in a plug for my PyGeo in this context, at
home.netcom.com/~ajs.

I hope one can get a sense from the webpage of how it might
be used for design as well as for the more formal study of
geometric concepts.

I have some demos in a newer version that I am holding
until I am fuilly satisfied with it, that in fact does kaleidoscopic
constructions.  Specifically they are constructions from
a book called Islamic Patterns by Keith Critchlow.

The intention is that PyGeo could be usable by anyone
with a minimum of Python knowledge, and easily
extensible by those with more intermediate (which
is where I consider myself to be) understanding.

Always looking for feedback on it BTW.

Art