[Tutor] Re: fnord

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:13:05 -0400

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:49:23AM -0400, Kirk Bailey wrote:
| OK, it just came across my CRT that people scrape emails off  of
| publicly accessible archives, for later spamming. Hmmm, interesting. I
| may write a subroutine that MUNGS the submitter's email address when
| writing it to the archive, in a way that HUMAN intelligence could easily
| detect and correct, but which should fry a poor bot's MIND.
|=20
| Discussion?

1)  It is really really (did I say really?) annoying to people who try
    to actually use your archives later.

2)  If you can programmatically encode the text, then another program
    can programmatically decode it.  IOW it won't have any positive
    effect once the spammers decide that it is worth their effort to
    (programmatically) decode your style of munging.

Use sa-exim instead to reject the trash at the door.  Also set up some
teergrube systems.

    http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html
    http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/teergrube.en.html

-D

--=20
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO
9000 then you definitely have no idea what it is.
                                (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn