[Tutor] ASP

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:12:51 +0100

Please use plain text when posting to public mailing lists.

> Hi I am attempting to learn how to use python with asp.
> I have set up IIS on a Windows 2000 server and have
> succesfully run a sample python asp page to confirm
> that I set everything up correctly.

Well done thats the hard bit!

> What I need now are some tutorials, refrence guides
> or something similar any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Depends on what level you are at.
Do you know Python but not ASP?
Do you know ASP but not Python?
Do you not know either of them?

If the first try any of the ASP tutorials on
the web, there are many good ones. Next look
at Mark Hammonds stuff on accessing COM from
Python.

If the second the official tutor that comes with
python documentation is the best starting point.
If you know ASP in another language theres little
new in using Python. The only other tweek you'll
need to look for is the winall stuff needed to
use ASP and how it accesses COM objects. The only
other caveat I'd offer is wroite as much of the
Python stuff in functions at the top of the file
then the inline stuff will mostly be single line
code. Pythons indenting rules can get a bit messed
up when used inline in ASP HTML.

If you kow neither learn Python first then ASP.
Start at the newbies page on the Python web site.

Or even at my tutor :-)

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site