[Tutor] Gadfly database location

Paul Hartley p.hartley@spitech.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:22:06 +0800

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C241EA.1C05F3A0

Having just installed Gadfly on my Windows 98 PC (running the test =
before installation produced 40 errors, but then installing was OK), I =
have created my first database with table successfully.

I have two questions.

One, to open a database the second parameter is a directory name, and =
gadlfy seems to look for the directory starting at the current =
directory. So if my python module is in /python/test/gadfly and I start =
a database located at 'testdb' then gadfly looks in =
/python/test/gadfly/testdb. How do I get gadfly to look elsewhere for =
the database (i.e. in /server/data?)=20

The second question is why, when I start programming a new language, do =
the questions I want answers to never seem to be addressed in the books =
or tutorials - like the above question? Is this kind of situation common =
to all you experienced programmers or is it only the stupid ones like me =
that get stuck on the first day with a question (usually to do with how =
to use the language for a specific application?) With the question above =
the assumption is that all code is written in the directory immediately =
before the database - a kind of ridiculous assumption I would have =
thought!!

Paul

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C241EA.1C05F3A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having just installed Gadfly on my =
Windows 98 PC=20
(running the test before installation produced 40 errors, but then =
installing=20
was OK), I have created my first database&nbsp;with table=20
successfully.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have two questions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One, to open a database the second =
parameter is a=20
directory name, and gadlfy seems to look for the directory starting at =
the=20
current directory. So if my python module is in /python/test/gadfly and =
I start=20
a database located at 'testdb' then gadfly looks in =
/python/test/gadfly/testdb.=20
How do I get gadfly to look elsewhere for the database (i.e. in =
/server/data?)=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The second question is why, when I =
start=20
programming a new language, do the questions I want answers to never =
seem to be=20
addressed in the books or tutorials - like the above question? Is this =
kind of=20
situation common to all you experienced programmers or is it only the =
stupid=20
ones like me that get stuck on the first day with a question (usually to =
do with=20
how to use the language for a specific application?) With the question =
above the=20
assumption is that all code is written in the directory immediately =
before the=20
database - a kind of ridiculous assumption I would have =
thought!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Paul</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C241EA.1C05F3A0--