[Tutor] Trouble getting started (fwd)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:28:51 +0100

> From: Gregor Lingl [mailto:glingl@aon.at]
> If you work qith IDLE you have thoroughly to distinguish to different
> modes of working:
> 1. Interactive Python Interpreter
> 2. A completely different thing is writing programs, or scripts:
>     a) Open a "File|New Window"   A NEW WINDOW!!!

This is very true and a common cause for confusion. I've
had two mails from students of my tutor in the past week
falling over this very issue. They tried to save/execute
the shell window. The problem is that IDLE allows you
to do this, then reports an error on the banner message!

It would be much more sensible if the Python Shell window
greyed out the RUN menu option... That way beginners
wouldn't try to run the shell. Of course they can still
save/open it and have the same pronblem - ideally the
shell window should have a save session option instead
of the usual save as...(see my previous post).

But I am certainly seeing lots of beginners trying to
save the shell window and then run it!

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site