[Tutor] Technical Directors: Learning Scenarios? Newbie to Python

Mike Allen Mike Allen" <mike@allenagenda.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:07:11 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C24244.39AD1910

Hello,

I want to learn Python so I can access and work with different file =
media file types ( *.rib, *.tif, *.tga, *.mel, *.ma, *.mb ,*.ae, etc) =
involved in=20
the "typical" digital effects production pipelines. Any info from =
technical directors out there is much appreciated.
For example, what tasks do you use Python for on a daily or weekly =
basis. You see, I find that learning a programming
language is quite ...boring and dry without a good reason as to what I =
want to accomplish. I like learning from the outside and move inward. Or =
put another way, grasping the "Big Picture" first, then diving into the =
details or modules. Most programming books are just the opposite!
Give me a compelling case (i.e., scenario) as to why I need to write a  =
script.=20

Example Scenario: Tom is a technical director at ILM and has a directory =
full of RIB files. RIB files range in size from several megabytes
to several hundreds of megabytes. RIB files are essentially very large =
text files which describe how a single frame of animation  should appear =
once processed by Pixar's PRenderMan  rendering application. Tom needs =
to create a Python program that opens each .rib file and scans the file =
for a specific line or phrase and removes it/changes it, then saves the =
file and proceeds to the next file, all the while displaying the =
program's status onto the screen.=20

......catch my drift? I also like diagramming or flow charting the whole =
process first. Then you just write the pieces of code
next to the flowchart diagram, to get the outline of the program =
started. Is this normal? Remember, I don't have a programmer's
background. So far, after looking at Amazon.com I am most attracted to =
"Core Python." The author also teaches classes at the=20
UofCalifornia Santa Cruz. I live in the bay area and so that is a plus. =
He also mentioned about working with image files, which is the only book =
that mentions that topic.=20

.....So, after a long email does anyone know of any good magazine =
articles, websites, books, learning CDs out there on Python?
Anything that talks about Python and its use in Digital Effects studios =
also gets my attention. Sample scripts with break-downs also helpful.=20
On Tuesday I will head to Linux World in San Francisco and maybe find =
some useful Python training material. Who knows?=20

Thanks for any tips!
Cheers,
Mike=20
http://www.allenagenda.com

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C24244.39AD1910

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I want to learn Python so I can access =
and work=20
with different file media file types ( *.rib, *.tif, *.tga, *.mel, *.ma, =
*.mb=20
,*.ae, etc) involved in </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>the "typical" digital effects =
production pipelines.=20
Any info from technical directors out there is much =
appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For example, what tasks do you use =
Python for on a=20
daily or weekly basis. You see, I find that learning a =
programming</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>language is quite ...boring and dry =
without a good=20
reason as to what I want to accomplish. I like learning from the outside =
and=20
move inward. Or put another way, grasping the "Big Picture" first, then =
diving=20
into the details or modules. Most programming books are just the=20
opposite!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Give me a compelling case (i.e., =
scenario) as to=20
why I need&nbsp;to write&nbsp;a &nbsp;script. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Example Scenario: Tom is a technical =
director at=20
ILM and has a directory full of RIB files. RIB files range in size from =
several=20
megabytes</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>to several hundreds of megabytes. RIB =
files are=20
essentially very large text files which describe how a single frame of=20
animation&nbsp; should appear once processed by Pixar's PRenderMan&nbsp; =

rendering application. Tom needs to create a Python program that opens =
each .rib=20
file and scans the file for a specific </FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>line or=20
phrase and removes it/changes it, then saves the file and proceeds to =
the next=20
file, all the while displaying the program's status onto the screen.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>......catch my drift? I also like =
diagramming or=20
flow charting the whole process first. Then you just write the pieces of =

code</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>next to the flowchart diagram, to get =
the outline=20
of the program started. Is this normal? Remember, I don't have a=20
programmer's</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>background. So far, after looking at =
Amazon.com I=20
am most attracted to "Core Python." The author also teaches classes at =
the=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>UofCalifornia Santa Cruz. I live in the =
bay area=20
and so that is a plus. He also mentioned about working with image files, =
which=20
is the only book that mentions that topic. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>.....So, after a long email does anyone =
know of any=20
good magazine articles, websites, books, learning CDs out there on=20
Python?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anything that talks about Python and =
its use in=20
Digital Effects studios also gets my attention. Sample scripts with =
break-downs=20
also helpful. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On Tuesday I will head to Linux World =
in San=20
Francisco and maybe find some useful Python training material. Who =
knows?=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for any tips!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.allenagenda.com">http://www.allenagenda.com</A></FONT>=
</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C24244.39AD1910--