[Tutor] understanding classes

Lance E Sloan lsloan@umich.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:56:24 -0400

--On Wednesday, August 14, 2002 2:01 PM -0700 Danny Yoo
<dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Lance E Sloan wrote:
>> My next question was going to be, why is the Python convention to name
>> that variable "self" rather than "this"?  I suspect it's just Guido's
>> choice.  Was Java not so well known when this was done?  Or is this an
>> intentional choice to distance Python from Java?
>
> There's an extraordinarily important reason for this.  Try:
>
>###
>###
>
> at the interactive interpreter.

*groan* *sigh*  "Extraordinarily important"?  The Java-contingent of folks
I'll be presenting this to will get a *big* kick out of that.

I've been asked to explain Python, in a nutshell, as it were, to others in
my workgroup, which are primarily Java and/or Perl developers.  Is my work
cut out for me or what?

--
Lance E Sloan
Web Services, Univ. of Michigan: Full-service Web and database design,