[Tutor] Re: OT Java Question

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:17:06 -0400

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 10:09:23PM +0000, Kyle Babich wrote:
| While I'm learning Python I'm also learning Java, so I just bought
| Learning Java 2nd Ed.  I was trying the first few simple apps but they
| didn't work.  I have jdk 1.1.8 installed on my computer sdk 1.4, so I
| did think there would be much of a difference.

Wrong!  JDK 1.0.x, 1.1.x, 1.2.x, 1.3 and 1.4 are all vastly different.
(SDK =3D=3D JDK, just marketing terminology) When it comes to Sun/Java
versioning, think of the first number as a constant, the second as the
major number and the third as the minor number.  The _language_ itself
changed between 1.0 and 1.1, and the library changed majorly between
1.1 and 1.2.  1.2 and 1.3 are fairly similar, and I recently learned
that 1.4 adds more stuff to the standard library.

| Anyway, there seems to
| be an error with import javax.swing.*;  (I need it for JFrames)
| Was javax taken out at some point?  Something else?  Could someone
| clear this up for me?

No, swing was created after the 1.1.x releases.  You can separately
obtain an (old) version of swing which will work with jdk 1.1.8, but
1.1 is soo ancient and obsolete that I don't recommend starting with
it.  Use at least 1.3, or 1.4 if your OS is supported.  JDK >=3D 1.2
includes swing as part of the standard library.

-D

--=20
Misfortune pursues the sinner,
but prosperity is the reward for the righteous.
        Proverbs 13:21
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--i9LlY+UWpKt15+FH