[Tutor] building the readline module

Prahlad Vaidyanathan slime@vsnl.net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:11:21 +0530

Hi,

    I've been trying to build Python 2.2 with the readline
module, in order to enable tab-completion, and other such nifty
stuff in the interactive session, but I have so far been
unsuccessful.

    I rummaged through the docs, and then did this.

    - ran the configure script (without arguments)
    - edited Modules/Setup, and uncommented the "readline" line
    - ran "make"

    But, make dies, saying that the linker (GNU ld) cannot find
"-ltermcap". So, I looked for a libtermcap.a file, and, surely
enough, it wasn't there.

    So, I pulled out my Mandrake 8.0 CD, and decided to install
the relevant RPMS.viz.

    - readline
    - readline-devel
    - libtermcap2

    But still, I can't seem to find the libtermcap.a file, and,
as expected, "make" barfs at the same place. I don't know which
package I should install, which has libtermcap.a (assuming that
is where the problem lies), so I decided to ask here, and see if
anyone knew what I am doing wrong.

    Do let me know. Thanks.

pv.

--
Prahlad Vaidyanathan  <http://www.symonds.net/~prahladv/>

Why you say you no bunny rabbit when you have little powder-puff tail?
		-- The Tasmanian Devil