[Tutor] Re: books arrived

Lance E Sloan lsloan@umich.edu
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:52:48 -0400

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 12:04:29AM -0400, Kirk Bailey wrote:
> Syntax is ok, but the modules I need to study more. and alas, I am stuck
> for the time being with 1.5.2, my hardware guru says we would have to
> upgrade critter to handle the new version.

What kind of critter are we talking about?  If it's your desktop machine,
just try installing a newer version.  If it's a multiuser machine you're
sharing, like Linux or some kind of UNIX, if you have access to a C
compiler, you can build and install the new version of Python in your home
directory and run it from there.  I've done that several times myself, to
get the "configure" parameters right, which I then pass on to the sysadmins
here.  (They like to do all the builds themselves.)

--
Lance E Sloan
Web Services, Univ. of Michigan: Full-service Web and database design,