[Tutor] Why lambda could be considered evil

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:43:00 -0400

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 07:35  PM, Scot W. Stevenson wrote:

>> If you ever get round to reading
>> up on lambda calculus then great, you can use python
>> to play games without having to learn Lisp or Haskell...
>
> I think I'll save that one for a while - I still have the re module to
> get
> thru =8).

That module is a sort of simlink on my system, to the "sre" module.
(Or the "pre" module if I were to uncomment one of the lines.)

Can someone explain why the code imports both from * and from "__all__"
?  I've never seen the import __all__ before.  (It looks like this:

if engine == "sre":
     # New unicode-aware engine
     from sre import *
     from sre import __all__
else:
     # Old 1.5.2 engine.  This one supports 8-bit strings only,
     # and will be removed in 2.0 final.
     from pre import *
     from pre import __all__

thank you)