[Tutor] Re: How different is math logic from computer logic?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Tue Dec 10 00:20:02 2002

--neYutvxvOLaeuPCA

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:03:25AM +0100, Magnus Lycka wrote:

| In the 19th century, british mathematician George Boole introduced
| symbolic logic or Boolean Algebra as we call it today. Basically,
| he made a simple and a complete algebraic system containing only two
| "digits": True and False, and three operations, AND, OR and NOT. If
| we use the following symbols:

Just out of curiosity, did Boole come up with "nand" or did that come
later?

For those unfamiliar with it, the nand operator is functionally
complete.  With just nand you can write any logic expression.  The
combination of and, or and not is also functionally complete.  (it's
more natural too, but require 3 operators instead of 1)

IIRC the nand truth table looks like

      | 0  1
    --|-----
    0 | 1  1
    1 | 1  0

If you're really interested in logic or rule based programming, check
out Prolog.  (I've only heard about it but never used it)

-D

--=20
If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.
        I John 1:10
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/