[Tutor] TKinter and IDLE problem

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Tue Dec 10 12:53:01 2002

> I've been learning Python with v2.2.2 for Windows (on Win98).
> I've started
> to try out Tkinter with the Tkinter Intro at

> However, IDLE then becomes unusable, even after closing both the GUI
> and  hello1.py (no more ">>>" appear when hitting Enter).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Using IDLE!
Try saving your program into a file and running it from the
DOS prompt - or double clicking it in explorer).

IDLE is written in Tkinter and its difficult for Tkinter to run
two programs at the same time, it gets confused. There is a fudge
to get round this but then your program doesn't run right outside IDLE!

Its easier IMHO to just get into the good habit of saving your Tkinter
code as a file and running it outside IDLE. I discuss this issue in
passing in the GUI section of my tutorial...

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site