[Tutor] A slighty off topic question/rant for the experienced.

Adam Vardy Adam Vardy <anvardy@roadrunner.nf.net>
Wed Dec 18 09:49:01 2002

Wednesday, December 18, 2002, 2:33:34 AM, you wrote:

>> When times were good I dropped out of college and made the "real money".  Now
>> I see the errors of my ways but I am now married and have a wife who depends
>> on me.  Finding time (and money) to go back to school is not easy.  So do it
>> right the first time.

>> What led me on this road was the false belief that since I knew how to write
>> code college was a waste of time.  Friend let me tell you, knowing where a
>> semicolon goes does not a programmer make.  Languages are just a means of

What kind of school do you guys praise?  Some kind of university? Or
some kind of college?  Examples you might compare?

Do you like to learn abstractly, or practically?

>> and now for something completely different (-:

>> My suggestions on learning to be a better coder:

>> * learn one of each type of language.  Learn Lisp or Forth or ML.  Break your

It's not likely you'll find books on those things.

>>   habits often.  A C coder can write C in any language but a truly good coder
>>   writes in the idiom of his current language.  This means learning more than
>>   just how to write a for loop or a function call.  If you saw someone's
>>   python code and they never used a class or a dictionary you might just
>>   wonder why they used python.

Well, if they'll keep on doing that, maybe their code will make good
examples for beginning coders. To learn concepts one step at a time.

--
Adam Vardy