[Tutor] Pmw question

Abel Daniel abli@freemail.hu
Wed Dec 18 18:18:02 2002

 Magnus Lycka (magnus@thinkware.se) wrote:
> Are many people here using Pmw?
I do.

> In my opinion, Tkinter is all
> to weak without something extra like Pmw, but I thought the
> Tix support in current Python was good enough to replace Pmw.
> But when I really tried, it turned out that at least with
> ActivePython 2.2.1, the Tix support isn't anything like the
> rich library on the Tix web site. I found no Grid widget for
> instance.
I tried Tkinter first, then changed to Pmw when i needed a listbox with
dynamic scrollbars.
However, i think pmw's biggest advantage is not in the widgets itselves,
but in the framework. The "megawidget' idea, which lets you make one
widget from (for example) a frame, which has dozens of other widgets on
it. And to do this transparently. You can alway access the lower level-
building blocks. If you need to change one thing, you dont have to
override something deeply hidden in the structure, (which is essentially
re-making the widget except using inheritance and overriding instead of
copy-paste) you can do it with one method call. Its much cleaner.

> So I guess I might stay with wxPython for some more time...
I plan to try that, too. And pyGtk, and pyQt, and pyKde, and....

abli
abli@freemail.hu