[Tutor] Advice required: Documentation Writing / Sofware Testing

Scot Stevenson scot@possum.in-berlin.de
Thu Dec 19 18:27:01 2002

Hello Javier,

> On second thoughts, I'd also like any advice on a good "system" for
> generating docs. I have used (briefly) LaTeX, and DocBook, and the
> classical "HTML and play with it"... but is there any "killer app", any
> "must have" for this?

If you want to be able to output the same stuff in different formats, you
might want to try the XML Version of DocBook, because you get to write it in
ASCII (vi is great for this, as it is for just about everything), move it to
just about any given format, and it seems to have good language support -
German is fine, at least.

Writing in a "lower language" like LaTeX (which I was doing stuff in before)
has the disadvantage tempting you to try just one more trick or format the
bugger just that much cooler. With DocBook, you don't get much control over
the final layout, and that is just fine for me.

Y, Scot

--
  Scot W. Stevenson -- scot@possum.in-berlin.de -- Zepernick, Germany