[Tutor] newbie request for help in setting up emacs for pytho n

Terry Carroll carroll@tjc.com
Tue Dec 31 00:25:02 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Alan Trautman wrote:

> Thank you, I've been avoiding doing the task of making a working Emacs
> configuration. The documentation didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

No problem.  Since I'm new to Python, most of my "contributions" to this
list are in the form of requests for help, so I'm happy to be able to be
on the other side for a change.

One more thing: I'd advise those new to emacs to go to
http://www.refcards.com/about/emacs.html and print the appropriate 3-fold
reference card.  For me in the US, it's the one marked "US letter, three
column, PDF file".  Those in Europe will prefer the A4.  Print it on both
sides of a sheet of paper, and tri-fold it.  It's an excellent reference.

I don't know about you, but I find it easier to look down from my editing
session to look at a nice compact paper document than to swap over to a
browser and read a how-to online.  This reference card is great for that.
(The reference card is included in the emacs distribution, but in a
PostScript form, and I couldn't get a reasonably-sized copy to print.)

Since the original poster asked about xemacs as well, refcards.com also
has a page for that, at <http://www.refcards.com/about/xemacs.html>.

--
Terry Carroll        |
Santa Clara, CA      |   "The parties are advised to chill."