[Tutor] CHORTLING OVER MY KEYBOARD

Lloyd Hugh Allen lha2@columbia.edu
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:53:49 -0500

kirk Bailey wrote:

> AS I POISON VENEMOUS RATS, I HUM A LOVELY TUNE, WITH A SMILE UPON MY
> FACE, FOR A PROGRAM IS NOT OFFERED TO FEED SO MUCH BILGE TO SPAMBOTS
> HARVESTING EMAIL THAT IT SURPASSES IMAGINING.
>
> In breif, I have now a little script which cranks out entirely
> plausible email addresses by the SCORE on demand. Actually, about 50
> at a shot. And if you were so rash as toclick on them, you would get a
> letter popup.
>
> Every last one is randomly generated, intended to poison spambots
> harvesting email addresses.
>
> Now some spambots do not visit pages generated by scripts, but a html
> page with a ssi looks like normal html to a browser- or a bot- and
> therefore one could run this with MINOR modifications in a ssi include
> page, and poison the spam harvesting community.
>
> Just for giggles, here's the url. Script offered on request.
> http://www.tinylist.org/cgi-bin/poison.py

Be careful--your program generates some email addresses that have
legitimate domains (as a for instance, I got an address that has domain
abstraction.org, which exists). Postmasters at real domains might get
mad if you distribute addresses at their site, particularly if you're
lucky enough to hit a real account...a thousand monkeys, or something.