[Tutor] Please read this and respond to me.

Andrei Kulakov ak@silmarill.org
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:45:44 -0500

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 10:55:22PM -0500, Erik Price wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2002, at 06:14  AM, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
>
> >No, in the contest of his post. If he meant hacking as programming, he'd
> >say "programming".
>
> Unless he was referred to Python from ESR:
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
>
> It specifically recommends that newbies start w/Python, and uses
> "hacking" as synonymous for "programming" throughout.

I guess it's possible.. but even there, it either means a man displaying
an optimistic, adventurous attitude toward problem-solving or an expert
programmer; the former meaning is too general for his post and the
latter doesn't make sense, so I had to conclude he meant cracker/hacker,
unless he's not very comfortable with english, but then I immediately
mentioned that hacking is illegal - that'd clue him in on which of the
two meanings I was talking about.

If I were a bit harsh, I'm sorry, though. The thing is, it's not only
about that guy, everybody else who reads questions and responses gets
some feeling for what is allowed and what isn't. If anyone read my
response and thought "oh, I better not expose my weaknesses on *that*
list", accept my apologies and note that even though I was pretty sure
he was both off topic and asking assistance in breaking the law, I
didn't scream at him and even helped the best I could. :P So, don't be
shy.

 - Andrei