[Tutor] Newbie

Randy Talbot randytalbot@home.com
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 01:50:13 -0500

this?

form under Subscribing to Tutor. For a newbie to python
http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html is a good place to visit. And a
good website to begin using IDLE is
http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/ . When you save a
program just add the .py extension to the name. For example,
firstprogram would be firstprogram.py in python.

> Background: I wish to teach myself to write programs for my
> computer.  I have absolutely no experience.  I am probably around 10
notches
> below beginner level.  I am no math whiz.  I am just a 60 y/o male
with only
> a keen desire to teach myself a programming language.  Friends(?) have

> suggested I start with XBasic, Liberty Basic, Visual Basic, or even
C++ (Wrong!).
> Will Python be a good "idiot" user friendly language for self
teachers, such
> as myself?  Thanks for any advice or input.
> Sincerely,
> Wolf

I am a beginner also, started out with Qbasic and felt that that was a
mistake. A good over all book for me about the concepts of computer
programming is "How Computer Programming Works" by Dan Appleman. And the
book that I like the best for learning python so far is "The Quick
Python Book" by Daryl Harms, even though it is written for people who
have experience programming in another language.

Randy Talbot