[Tutor] Newbie

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:15:41 -0500

On Sunday, February 3, 2002, at 01:50  AM, Randy Talbot wrote:

> And the
> book that I like the best for learning python so far is "The Quick
> Python Book" by Daryl Harms, even though it is written for people who
> have experience programming in another language.

I think this book is pretty amazing.  Here's why:  There are lots of
great tutorials for Python and general programming on the internet, I've
found, two of them being

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/
and
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python/Python101/Python101_1/page1.html

Once you've gone through one of these, you should know enough to get the
most out of the Quick Python book.  And the QP book is impressive for
having been written as a "readable" reference book, so that you can read
it and get a lot out of it and then you can use it to refer back later
when you need a clarification.

We all know computer books cost between $30 and $50 (in the US).  This
is big bucks for some of us.  The Quick Python Book, at $40, is a great
book in my opinion in how much mileage you can get out of it.

And I'm still just learning too!

Erik