[Tutor] Why doesn't this regex match???

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 12:10:46 -0800

On Sat, 09 Feb 2002 12:05:14 -0800, Kirby Urner <urnerk@qwest.net>
wrote about Re: [Tutor] Why doesn't this regex match???:

> Anyhow, after the discussion here on the list last night, and some
> discussion with my project-code-partners, we've decided to forgo the
> regular expressions in favor of simple string manipulations.
>

> Good thread though.  Some important clarifications re
> character sets.  Got my questions answered.
>
> Seems you were just about at a solution.

Well ... almost at a solution for matching single words/phrases in our
phrase-list. However, the real reason we were considering regex was
because we wanted to then do a grand "OR" on all of the words and avoid
looping...and seems to me that once I go a step more complicated that I
introduce more problems...I don't really understand regex well enough to
debug it on my own (and neither does my coding partner).

Tim mentioned the O'Reilly _Mastering Regular Expressions_ book...I'm
sure it is a fine book. But I don't want to spend gobs of time on regex
right now. It is only a small part of this project and I have a lot of
other stuff to do. I have a good 5 or 6 Python books here, and if that
isn't enough for me to learn what I want on this topic, better to
postpone it for another time.

I did learn some interesting things on the topic, though. Regex isn't as
scary and incomprehensible as it used to be. I'm sure I'll return to it
at some time in the future.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

"When introducing your puppy to an adult cat,
restrain the puppy, not the cat." -- Gwen Bailey,
_The Perfect Puppy: How to Raise a Well-behaved Dog_