[Tutor] Python web client book?

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:42:11 -0500

Hello everyone,

Recently I found myself in the public library of another town, far from
where I live.  I found a book that really intrigued me -- "Perl Web
Clients" or something like that (O'Reilly).  Essentially, the book was
an introductory text for developing code that uses HTTP and the WWW as a
whole, but without depending on browsers.  I thought it was pretty cool,
because it explained the basics of the HyperText Transfer Protocol and
how to work with it, etc.  Coming up with things to actually -do- with
this protocol is the fun part, and I didn't get that far into the book
before I had to leave.  I couldn't check the book out, because I don't
live in that town.

Well, I was wondering if there is such a book for Python.  I think Perl
is fine too, but I'm not really as interested in Perl at the moment and
am trying to learn as much as I can about Python, so finding that book
again isn't even what I really want (although I'm sure that a lot of the
concepts are applicable to Python).  So is there a decent book on this
topic that anyone knows of?  I have seen "Python Web Programming" by New
Riders publishing, and this looked interesting, but at fifty dollars (!)
I'd have to ask if anyone here has read it before plunking down the
dough.

Thanks,

Erik