[Tutor] passwords

Lewis Bergman lbergman@abi.tconline.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:02:13 -0600

OK, word of warning
I have only been at python for about three weeks so listen at your own risk.

The first program I made uses libxmlrpc and SimpleXMLRPCServer to manage many
different machines password and shadow password files along with things like
RADIUS db records from a single point. While this works, it is full of
dangerous implications.

It does this with spawnv and it's P_WAIT option (so I can get the status code
back) from the os module. I also used the crypt module to encrypt the
passwords before writing them so I could use the useradd command with the -p
switch instead of having to interact with the passwd command with some kind
of expect deal.

I found an abandoned project very useful in this. In fact, I rewote all but
one function from the ground up but the clues in that project were
invaluable. I would also suggest getting the shadow source files so you can
see exactly what the return codes are so you can program with appropriate

Hope this helps.
--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications