[Tutor] [Fwd: [testlist3] attachment's testing]

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:14:52 -0500

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:01:17AM -0500, kirk Bailey wrote:
| Very intresting.
|
| I sent a letter to the test list ('testlist3') and attached a copy of
| counter.1.0.0.tat.gz to it. below is the reulting email coming back to
| me.

(next time use a smaller attachment ;-))

| Hmmm.... If I can crunch this right, I can place the footers where
| they SHOULD be, and still handle attachments without a hiccup- thereby
| outperforming just about every other list server on the market today.
| Hmmm... need to think about this... anyone else out there intrested in
| sticking their fingers into THIS pie???

Hmm, not quite sure that will work as you intend it to.  First read
the docs in the 'email' module (standard part of python 2.2) regarding
representing a message.  The "preamble" and "epilogue" are the
relevant parts.  The data before the first BoundaryID is not normally
visible by a user.  I'm not certain that the data after the last
BoundaryID is seen.  It will likely cause problems for Outook Express,
I expect.  I say this because of the lengthy discussions on OE
displaying an empty message with a plain-text attachment (where the
message really is) in certain RFC-compliant situations.

You'll want to beware of HTML-only message too as HTML
parsers/renderers ignore line breaks and whitespace.  They can screw
up your nicely formatted footer.

-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,