[Tutor] Software Design and crackers

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:22:57 -0500

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 12:36:00PM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| Where can I go to find out about software desing?  A book something.

"Design Patterns" by the Gang of Four is one good book (uses C++ and
Smalltalk for example code)

| I want to find a down to earth kind of help.

I've started reading "The Practice of Programming" by Kernighan and
Pike.  I didn't get very far yet, though, but it seems to be a good
book.  (uses Java and C for example code)

| I have one other question to ask and that is about how to keep
| crackers at bay?

Mmm, this is tough.  What do you want to stop them from doing?  Making
illegal copies of your software?  Using illegal copies?  Cheating?
This article is quite interesting and related :
    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html

| Where can I start to learn about internet security.

What part of the Internet?  FTP and telnet and HTTP are not secure --
passwords are sent plain text.  Supposedly HTTPS is, but who knows for
sure.  ssh1 is claimed to be crackable (with enough computing power
and time), but ssh2 isn't.  sendmail and wu-ftpd are well known for
a rather high number of exploits found.  BIND on RH 6.2 and 7.0 is
remotely exploitable ("ramen worm").  There's also the arena of (D)DoS
attacks.  Some places to gather information are www.incidents.org and
www.insecure.org.

HTH,
-D