[Tutor] creating files with python and a thanks

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:48:50 +0100

[Danny Yoo]
> We can also 'print' to a file, like this:
>
> ###
> The square of 42 is 1764
>
> ###
>
> In this case, we can use the 'print >>file' statement, and since you're
> already familiar with how 'print' works, this should be a good way of
> doing file output.

Arh, no!  Please don't let this monster escape to the daylight!

> (On the other hand, I can't say that I _like_ the syntax of this extended
> 'print' statement; I would have much preferred something like:
>
>     fprint f, "The square of 42 is", square(42)
>
> because at least it avoids a semantic conflict with the shift-right
> operator, and seems to fix my internal model of Python. Has anyone written
> a PEP request to change the syntax of 'print >>file' yet?)

I think such a PEP would be doomed, considering that there was a lot
of syntax discussion when the >> PEP was written and that incompatible
changes are frowned upon if they lack a technical motivation.

> Ignore my grumbling.

Couldn't. <wink/>

Peace,
  Kalle