[Tutor] The 'print >>' ogre

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:32:41 +0100

On  0, Danny Yoo <dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I think it might be worth trying it.  How many people have used the
> extended 'print >>' statement?  Perhaps a more important question: how
> many people here have even heard about it?
>
> If we're trying to limit its exposure to the light, we're definitely
> making a judgement that it's either a terrible idea or smells terribly
> bad.  I think it's the latter, and if that's the case, perhaps a strong
> scrubbing is in order.  *grin*

I've used it. Sometimes you have an open file that your results go to, and
you want to print stuff to it just like you would want to do with a normal
print (newline at the end, space between the arguments, etc), and then it's
the convenient way to do it.

I can live with the syntax, too. It's pretty mnemonic for "print to" for me.

But still I don't think I'll use it much - the situation where it's useful
just doesn't occur often in my code.

--
Remco Gerlich