[Tutor] The 'print >>' ogre

Paul Sidorsky paulsid@shaw.ca
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 09:56:33 -0700

Danny Yoo wrote:

> I think it might be worth trying it.  How many people have used the
> extended 'print >>' statement?  Perhaps a more important question: how
> many people here have even heard about it?

I've used it.  The idea of directly printing to a file isn't the
problem.  There are times when it's downright handy.  It's the syntax
that's ogreish (yes that really is a word).  But I've used far uglier
constructs in other languages so I can live with print >>.

> If we're trying to limit its exposure to the light, we're definitely
> making a judgement that it's either a terrible idea or smells terribly
> bad.  I think it's the latter, and if that's the case, perhaps a strong
> scrubbing is in order.  *grin*

The trouble is by keeping quiet about it we turn it into the Python
equivalent of a Playboy magazine.  Sooner or later the newbies are going
to find it on our bookshelves and then they'll be pulling it out way
more times than they should!

Paul Sidorsky                                          Calgary, Canada
paulsid@shaw.ca                        http://members.shaw.ca/paulsid/