[Tutor] python 2.2

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:40:21 -0500

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:48:40PM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
> [...]

I'll look for it the next time I'm around a '98 box.  Maybe it isn't
so odd that I've never seen a CPU meter on windows until I got to use
NT4.0 (and 2k) last year.  I started using Windows (32 bit versions)
in 1995 when my dad bought '95 for his machine.

| I am not using Vpython all the time though.  I only got it to mess
| around a bit.  I have had Win98 freeze up and not let me do anything
| while I was just typing in a function or I'd be looking down to
| follow a flowchart or some example code out of a book and then wamo,
| the thing freezes up and all I get is like a screen shot that won't
| let me move my mouse.  I have a Athlon 800Mhz, Win98, 512Meg Ram,
| and 32Meg ATI All in One Video Card.  The thing is it freezes up
| when I'm not using VPython IDE.

IDE?  Maybe you're talking about something different, but I thought
that "VPython" referred to
    www.vpython.org
though I am aware of some other things with "V" in the name (such as
VTK)

| Do you think I should uninstall the
| VPython add on?  Could this be causing me some obscure problem or do
| you think that it could be Norton, because I do have Norton Internet
| Security 2001?

Norton very well could be causing problems.  Shut it down and see if
you still have the lockups.  If not, well, then there you go.  I used
to have Guard Dog on my win98 system (I got it really cheap, and this
was before I knew anything about unix or networking).  Cygwin's bash
shell would always trigger a "app connecting to the internet" alert.
The thing is, Guard Dog didn't know whether something was connecting
to the internet or not, it only knew that the socket library was
accessed.  It may be that python or vpython or some other component
tries to use sockets and Norton ungracefully kills it.  (sockets are
used for more than just connecting to the internet)

-D

--

One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.