[Tutor] Python in 24 hours more like 24 years

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:59:34 -0500

On Thursday, February 21, 2002, at 04:35  AM, Jonikas Valdemaras wrote:

> Many thanks for all answers,
>
> I'm slightly depressed :) because Laningham's book
> is the only choice in ours. So, I can't get your
> recommended books.
> If I understood correctly, not bad way (at least better
> than Laningham's book :) would be to use tutolias
> from www.python.org. Correct?

I'm still learning Python.  So don't take my words as those of Someone
Who Knows.  But I have found that there are tutorials all over the web
that teach all kinds of programming.  In fact, I did this with PHP -- I
used a book to get me going, but halfway through the book I got bored
with it because the tutorials on the web were much more concise (the
book was a giant Wrox book, admittedly).

The fact is, though, is that reading tutorials on a screen just sucks.
There's nothing like curling up in bed and reading a book.  Some people
might think it's weird, because you don't have a computer handy to try
stuff out on, but I prefer to ingest a chapter and then try it out
later.  So I say, get the book if it's convenient to do so, but
otherwise, check out the following sites:

DevShed has good quick tutorials that give you a rough idea of the
topic.  But if you want to know more, you need to know where the online
documentation is.  They have a fairly lengthy tutorial on Python, but it
doesn't teach you how to program.
http://devshed.com/

This is a pretty good tutorial.  "How to Think Like a Computer
Scientist."  The name doesn't excite me, but it doesn't leave much to
question -- read through this once and then go back and re-read the
parts that you didn't totally understand.  I found it comprehensive.
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

The problem with a lot of tutorials (like the DevShed one, above), is
that it's easy to teach you the basic structures of a language, like
functions and naming rules and whatever.  But to actually teach you some
programming concepts is a trickier task.  That's where I see myself -- I
sort of already "know" Python's "rules", but actually writing efficient
programs (the fun part) is something that I need to constantly work on.
I haven't had time to read this tutorial, but I think it addresses this
very subject...
http://www.mindview.net/Books/Python/ThinkingInPython.html

And Alan Gauld has already mentioned his site.  There you go, now you
don't have to buy a book.  Between these four tutorials, which will take
you a bit to get through, you should have a grasp of Python and be able
to start learning from yourself.

Erik