[Tutor] (no subject)

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:07:02 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Robert Garber wrote:

>  Here is my question. is it possible to use Python to write a GUI
> program that will use a video capture card to capture a small video
> clip usally 8-15 seconds long, then give it a name, and create a
> relational database that can be sorted any number of differtent ways?

Hi Robert,

Yes, it's definitely possible!  If you're using Windows, I believe you can
use the VideoCaputure module:

    http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9326522/VideoCapture/

I'm not sure if this works, as I don't have Windows, but there are
probably other sources of video capture software out there. Does anyone
have familiarity with video capture on other operating systems like Linux?

Python also has pretty good relational database support.  After you get
more familiar with Python, you can take a look at:

    http://python.org/topics/database/

This url is a topic guide on database programming and Python.  Do you have
a particular database in mind?

> I am very NEW to programming as a whole but extremely motivated to
> learn. This is a small part of a project I eventualy hope to complete.

This sounds like a very cool project!  I'm sure it's possible; I saw
something called the San Diego Zoo Panda Cam:

    http://www3.telus.net/futility/futility/software.html#pypanda

so something like this is definitely possible.  Please feel free to ask
questions; I'd love to see this work!  *grin*

Good luck!