[Tutor] Re: Working with Email question

Prahlad Vaidyanathan slime@vsnl.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:47:16 +0530

Hi,

This is my first post in a long time, so Hi everyone.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 Joel Ricker spewed into the ether:
> As a warmup excercise to get back into the swing of things, I want to write a spam filter.  I'm pretty liberal with my e-mail address, which is great because people can find me but the drawback is of course that so can all the spammers in the world :(

Well, there is procmail ... but not many people like it.

Currently, my setup goes as follows :

getmail -> procmail -> folders

procmail does all the spam filtering. but, getmail doesn't retrieve
messages above a defined limit, so i just cooked up a patch to retrieve
the headers (using TOP) of such messages. these headers are dumped into
a separate folder. i quickly review them, and run a small script to run
a "shell" on my POP server. I then delete the offending messages.

This seems pretty effective for me.

</my 2 cents>

pv.
--
Prahlad Vaidyanathan  <http://www.symonds.net/~prahladv/>

"Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The
Labs."
(By Dennis Ritchie)