[Tutor] Working with Email question [new 'email' module in Python 2.2]

Joel Ricker joejava@dragoncat.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:15:10 -0500

From: Sheila King <usenet@thinkspot.net>
>  Great. *BUT* in order
> to get around this problem with the email module, I'm currently
> capturing the stdin as a string, then attempting to instantiate an
> instance of an email object, and if that fails, then I resort to parsing
> with the rfc822 module. I've been considering re-writing the whole thing
> without the email module and just using rfc822 and multifile/mimetools.
> This method I'm using now uses too much memory, but if I don't do it
> this way, and the instantiation of the email object fails, then I've
> already consumed the stdin input and have no way to get that email any
> more (it is lost).

My problem is I don't have the email module yet.  I use Activestate's builds
for my Python distribution and currently they have an Alpha edition of 2.2
which I'm using.  2.1 is the last stable release that they've come out with.
My version of Python doesn't have the email module so I'm actually resorting
to what you were thinking of Shiela, writing my own Email module, inheriting
the properties of rfc822 and multifile/mimetools.  So far its working pretty
good.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Joel