[Tutor] ftp stuff

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:56:01 -0800

--============_-1197459131==_ma============

At 10:39 AM -0800 2/25/02, james middendorff wrote:
>I am trying to build a program that will connect to a ftp server
>i.e. <ftp://ftp.slackware.com>ftp://ftp.slackware.com and then
>change to a certain directory i.e. /pub/slackware/slackware-current,
>which I have gotten all of that to work, but when I get to that
>directory I want to do a LIST command, which I cannot get to work,
>is there something that I am overlooking, also I want this to go
>into all directories of slackware-current and download certain
>files, how can I make itgo into these directories download
>something, and then go to the next one?

See: http://www.wu-ftpd.org/rfc/rfc0959.txt

Likely you've forgotten (or didn't know) that ftp requires TWO
network connections, one for the control, one for the data. The reply
for the LIST command, iirc, comes back on the data connection.
--
_Deirdre   *    http://deirdre.net   "The evening news only spoils
the morning paper."     -- Anne Lamott

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
connect to a ftp server i.e. <a
href="ftp://ftp.slackware.com">ftp://ftp.slackware.com</a> and then
change to&nbsp;a certain directory i.e.
/pub/slackware/slackware-current, which I have gotten all of that to
work, but when I get to that directory I want to do a LIST command,
which I cannot get to work, is there something that I am overlooking,
also I want this to go into all directories of slackware-current and
download certain files, how can I make itgo into these directories
download something, and then go to the next one?</blockquote>
network connections, one for the control, one for the data. The reply
for the LIST command, iirc, comes back on the data connection.</div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
http://deirdre.net&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;The evening news only spoils<br>
the morning paper.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Anne Lamott</div>