[Tutor] smtpd module

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:24:07 -0500

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 08:49:01PM +0530, Prahlad Vaidyanathan wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I just downloaded and installed 2.2, and was looking through the
| modules, when I found an undocumented module called "smtpd" by Barry
| Warsaw.

This is not likely to be something you want to play with.

| Has anyone used this module ? I am currently using a very hackish python
| script to send emails from my home-machine (I got sick of messing with
| the sendmail.cf files of this world). So, this module seems right up
| that alley.

Instead, you probably want the
    smtplib
module and the SMTP class with the sendmail() method.

Better yet, just popen() the MTA on the system and pipe the message to
it.  This is the best solution because the MTA will properly handle
all error conditions including the need to queue and retry
transmission.

I understand that you dislike sendmail.cf files.  Take a look at exim
instead.  If you understand mail (RFC [2]821 and [2]822) then it will
be a breeze to configure.

-D

--

The light of the righteous shines brightly,
but the lamp of the wicked is snuffed out.