[Tutor] IP numbers

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:38:12 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 08:37:30AM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
| The reason I wanted to change my IP number was because I have this
| problem with a cracker trying to get into my system and he knows my
| IP address and I thought if I changed it he wouldn't know where I
| was anymore, but that's just my newbie thinking.

In what ways is he trying to get into your system and how do you know
this?  Do you have any "services" running on your machine?  If nothing
is listening on any ports, then there is no way to get in.  (or if
something is blocking all ports at the TCP/UDP or IP level)

| I have Norton Internet Security which has stopped him so far, but I
| wanted to go a step further and not allow him to find me.

Get a Linux or *BSD system to act as a firewall.  Then the only stuff
that can get to your windows machine is responses to requests that
originated from the windows machine.

| I don't know why this person is comming after me.

Most likely because he can.  Some people are un-nice like that.

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build