[Tutor] IP numbers and Python

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:59:49 -0800

Of course in the original thread the questioner
already had a software firewall, which was catching
and blocking attempts to get in.  So it's not a
given that any further purchases are really
necessary.

In a desperate attempt to tie this back to Python,
I'd say low-level packet interception and analysis
(as might happen in a firewall), is one of those
kinds of applications that Python is *not* good
at....  ok, I said it was desperate.

Kirby

PS:  when considering hardware switches/hubs, think
about the wireless option too.  This 3com HomeConnect
box on my desk works as a 100/10 mbps switch for
3 boxes connected by regular Ethernet cable, has
a separate port for DSL, which it gateways, has
built in firewall and DHCP server, and supports
some generous number of additional nodes by 11 mps
wireless (I've got a laptop downstairs that's part
of the network thanks to PC card antenna).  The switch
is configurable via web browser interface.  Costs
more than $79, but then you get a lot more.