[Tutor] And now for something completely different

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:20:42 -0500

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 11:06:14PM +0100, Gregor Lingl wrote:

|     In a book
|     (incidentally in Michalewicz/Fogel : How To Solve It)
|     i read the following remark:
|
|        " ... this problem was selected from a math text
|        for fifth graders in the United States"
|
|     I'm not sure, what means fifth graders in US?
|     For what type of school is the expression
|     "fifth graders" in  use?

(public) school starts at age 4 or 5 (depending on birthday and
parental decisions) with "preschool".  Preschool is optional, but
regardless, the following year children enter "kindergarten" (age 5 or
6).  Following that is "first grade".  The sequence progresses to
"12th grade" (senior year of high school).  In many areas fifth grade
is the last grade of Elementary School (aka Primary School) and sixth
grade begins "Middle School".  In some areas 6th grade is part of
Elementary school and Middle School starts at 7th grade.  Regardless,
High School is 9th through 12th grade (inclusive).

|     What age have students, who are fifth graders?

(FYI) A more natural/common was to ask this question is "What age are
fifth graders?".

Fifth graders will usually be 10 or 11 years old.

-D

--

Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.