[Tutor] is this a bug? [Research papers on floating point]

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:17:04 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Gregor Lingl wrote:

> I understand; Remco braught it to the point:
>
> > The problem is that, when converted to binary, 66.6 is repeating. There is
> > no way to represent it exactly in a finite amount of binary digits.
> >

> It depends on the number beeing a repeating binary, not a repeating decimal

Hmmmm!  I did a quick search on Google, and found an interesting paper on
this topic:

How to Read Floating Point Numbers Accurately:

    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/william90how.html

The math does seem a bit intimidating at first; I'd have to really study
it to understand it.  Still, perhaps it might interest someone on Tutor
who's interested in floating-point representation issues.

The rest of the web site:

    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/directory.html

looks incredibly cool for anyone with a appetite for CS research papers;
this site appear to archive lots of good papers on computer science!